Thursday, February 4, 2010

When Food Brings Joy



Carnie Wilson is on Dr. Oz, and oh boy can I relate to her and her inner being.She is absolute proof that Bariatric Surgery is not a "cure all" for a person to loose weight. Yes, she did loose weight when she had the surgery,but she did not address her addictions and became an alcoholic. She recovered from the alcohol addiction, and now is back up over 200 lbs since birth of last child. While discussing what Carnie called "Baby Fat" she was reprimanded, as she was putting the blame on her baby, when in reality it was Carnie who ate the wrong food, and possibly too much of it while pregnant.

We need to learn why food brings joy. We need to replace that joy with real joy.

Dr. Oz said to automate your meals each day, and exercise daily, 10,000 steps. Get rid of the enablers in your life. I choose to educate the enablers since they are very important people who I love dearly, and some I have enabled. We need to work together.

An addict alone is in bad company. What great advice. Sometimes we feel alone when we are with someone. I personally need to change my daily routines, and get out of this prison that I have created. I need to get rid of the warden and replace her with a wise counselor.

In being honest, I still have this inner voice that tells me it would be okay to have a cheese steak every once and awhile. Then it says, "But you really do love to eat certain things, and enjoy them greatly." It also tells me that if I loose all that weight at my age I will have hanging skin, and look awful. I need to learn how to stop allowing this inner being that learned that food brings joy. I need to replace that joy with real joy.

God has put at least two people in my life who would be more than willing to help me learn how to eat sensibly. I am going to ask for help. You may remember my favorite quote by Goethe:

The Power of Commitment!

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative ( and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now".

- J. W. von Goethe

Isaiah 40:31 (New International Version)


31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."


Note: I have not offered how I will actually accomplish this, as I do not yet know, but I do know that I must reach out for help, and take that first step.



That is me in the middle. I want to look like that again, only 43 years older.

No comments:

Post a Comment