Wednesday, May 2, 2012

For Dad On What Would Have Been His 90th Birthday!



Dad, Uncle Charlie, Uncle Clarence, & Aunt Marge in his beloved Florida
I chose this John Denver video below in remembrance of  my Dad on what would have been his 90th Birthday. Dad so loved the Space Program.
Rocket Assembly Bldg. 2011




 My daughter Jen, He, and I walked on the landing strip for the Shuttle in November of 1979. He was so thrilled to get a chance to do this. We also toured the Rocket Assembly Bldg. We were lucky because they no longer allow tours of that building.



Space Shuttle Simulator 2011
John Denver wrote this song for the astronauts of the Space Shuttle Challenger that exploded a little over a minute after lift off, 5 months and 15 days after Dad's passing January 28, 1986.  When I watched it on TV like everyone else I had tears streaming down my face, but not just for them but for thoughts of how upset my dad would have been if he had seen that.  I then felt a peace knowing that perhaps he was one of the many there to greet them as they passed over.


It is a nice thought and perhaps a wish that right now they along with John are celebrating with my dad on this special day that he shared with two of his grandsons and the doctor, Dr. Herman Smith who delivered them.  Happy Birthday in Heaven Dad! I will hold you in my heart until that day when I can hold you in my arms, like you held me many years ago.





No comments:

Post a Comment